Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Big Fish Shrunken...

The other day I was having a lovely chat with my roommate. We were discussing our school life and how we felt that we were failing miserably. We agreed that neither of us have any friends, we were doing horribly in all of our classes, and we were broke and not good at anything! At home, I was a big shot on campus. I was considered smart, pretty, an amazing singer, I had it made in my insignificant little high school life. Then I came here and discovered it was all a lie.

BYU is a campus filled with amazing talented beautiful people!! When I came here I was not prepared for the change. To give you an idea of how I felt, here's how it went. The campus seemed to ask,

"Were you pretty? Everyone else here is prettier. Were you smart? Not here you aren't. Did you sing well? Everyone here can sing. You're good, but so is everyone else. You have no identity and you're completely average, if not below."

Not good tidings for the self-esteem if you know what I mean. But I have been dealt a revelation! Everyone feels that way. At least all the socially apt people do. All the freshmen are walking around thinking, "What am I doing here?"

Well I'll tell you what. We're all just the cream of the crop. There isn't another campus like this one in the world. There are beautiful, smart, talented, and virtuous people everywhere, but BYU campus is made up entirely of them. You just can't do better. And instead of feeling low, I have decided that I am good just for being able to be here. And even if I fail, it's not that big of a deal, for I failed doing my best, at a school for the best.

1 comment:

  1. "You have not failed, as long as you have tried." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

    ReplyDelete