Friday, September 18, 2009

What's the Point?

Not to deviate from the topic of this blog, but recent events in my life have gotten me to thinking. My brother is getting married and I have spent a couple of days with his fiance shopping for her wedding dress. She came to Utah to get her perfect wedding dress, and I have loved the time I have spent with her. However, spending all this time in wedding shops has brought the question to my mind...what is the point? Why do we do it all? Is it for the dresss? The cake? The amount of money you spend? How fancy it is or how many people come? What is the wedding truly for?

In light of this confusion I bring this thought to mind. Although the wedding is fun -- the bridesmaids, the groomsman, the rehearsal dinner, the reception, the food at the reception ;) -- in the end what we achieve is so much more than all the pomp. The true meaning of a wedding is often lost in all the stuff we surround it with. So does it truly matter whether you served punch and cookies at your reception rather than a meal? Does it matter whether your dress is perfect or everyone attends? Does it matter when or where? No. You get married to share time and all eternity with the one you truly love, the bread to your butter, the creme to your oreo, the light of your life. In the end, the goal is achieved, and no one will ever care or remember how you got there, just that you did. And they will be so happy for you, for you will be happy too. True happiness is what you make of it, and what is a wedding for?-- to make that true happiness come to life with your partner. Marriage is about the after, not the before. Don't forget that, no matter where you are in life. It's about the life you spend with your spouse, not about anyone else, no matter how much fun the wedding may be. And don't get me wrong, it IS fun! :)

2 comments:

  1. .... But I like the details!!! Lol its fun for the time being. I agree they don't matter but that doesn't stop me from wanting "the perfect wedding" at the time lol.

    I'm sorry I'm so shallow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete